Email analytics service Litmus has just released a great infographic looking at email client, browser and device use over the past year. Key takeouts from the research include:
- There’s a sharp rise in users opening emails on mobile devices, particularly over the last 6 months
- Webmail has seen a drop in % share
- Outlook still sees the most email opens at 37%, followed by Hotmail (11%), Yahoo Mail (10%), iPhone (10%)
- Of Outlook’s total share, 84% still use 2000/03, rather than 07/10, which have well documented rendering issues.
- 80% of mobile opens are on an iPhone, vs 19% on Android and 1% on Blackberry.
Of course, these statistics are based on image opens across all of the campaigns that use Litmus for testing, and therefore could potentially not represent your given email list, however they do give a good steer on the overall picture. Many email service providers, including Litmus, allow you to find out browser and device use statistics for your email list, which can provide an accurate guide of how specifically your users are viewing your email.
View the full infographic on the Litmus blog.