Email analytics service Litmus has just released a great infographic looking at email client, browser and device use over the past year. Key takeouts from the research include:
- There’s a sharp rise in users opening emails on mobile devices, particularly over the last 6 months
- Webmail has seen a drop in % share
- Outlook still sees the most email opens at 37%, followed by Hotmail (11%), Yahoo Mail (10%), iPhone (10%)
- Of Outlook’s total share, 84% still use 2000/03, rather than 07/10, which have well documented rendering issues.
- 80% of mobile opens are on an iPhone, vs 19% on Android and 1% on Blackberry.
View the full infographic on the Litmus blog.
Here’s a cool infographic from Focus showing how email works, some key stats and how it’s evolved.
Lots of the statistics are up for discussion, particularly the dominance of Yahoo! Mail as a webmail client, and it’s interesting that it suggests most spam landing pages are hosted in China… maybe the great firewall should extend both ways?